“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” -Helen Keller

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

18 Miles and Heels

What a jam-packed day Saturday was! Went on my final 18 mile walk and then headed to Providence for Suzanne's bachelorette party. Clearly I just recovered and caught up on my sleep if I'm just blogging about Sat on Tuesday!

In order to fit it all in, the walk started at 6 am. I was yawning the first 1/2 mile but then woke up and was OK the rest of the day. Great to see Eileen again after her weekend away during our last big walk and of course my faithful Caroline who's yet to miss a Training Walk since her sprained ankle healed! Even learned a little bit of trivia on the walk. Do you know who Smoots is? Thanks to Eileen I know he was a guy who attended MIT back in the 40's or something and as some form of prank he and some other guys decided to use Smoot's body as a measuring tool all across the Mass Ave bridge. As you're walking across you'll see painted #'s, so "240" means that Smoot had lied down and been measured 240 times before he reached that spot. Guess the Police even use it as markers if they're reporting an accident! And Smoot went on to be the head of a company that handles measurements of some kind. Smoot's infamous!


Here we are standing on the Mass Ave bridge with all of Smoot's measurements.....and one of my favorite backdrops between the Hancock and Pru! (L to R) Eileen, Ro, Caroline, me and Agnis is our fabulous photographer!


Tried out my new "blankie" and love it! It's an Aquis towel which is super-absorbant so I can use it to wipe my brow (read: sweat dripping down my face). And it's pale pink! I'd love to cut it in half as it's a little large, but I don't know if the end will fray. Any sewing experts out there reading this, I'd LOVE and really APPRECIATE your comments about if I should cut it.

Once I was done walking 18 miles it was time to rush home, shower, pack and head to Providence for Suzanne's bachelorette. Usually I'd just sit on the couch after a long walk and go to bed by 9-10pm. Instead, went to dinner, walked around the Waterfires which I totally recommend, went on a boat ride, and ended at a local spot for a drink or 2! Only problem was I didn't quite know what to expect and was dressed inappropriately. I had on 3 inch heels and I swear we probably walked an additional 3 miles that night. In heels. On cobblestone. After walking 18 miles earlier that day. My feet were not happy. They were swollen beyond belief and the pain was excruciating. I think they actually felt worse Saturday night then they did last year when I walked 60 miles. Guess I should have planned my outfit/shoes a lot better! BUT, the girls were a ton of fun and we had a great time! Happy Bachelorette Suz!

From spandex and fanny pack to dress and heels in no time! The Waterfires had a Carnivale theme, so here's the group in our masks!

4 comments:

Sarah G said...

I thought about joining your walk, but 6 AM was too early for me!

And strange enough - I did 12 miles (part of it through Blue Hills...eek!) and then headed down to Providence for dinner & Waterfire as well!

Aimee said...

small world! bet you were smart enough not to wear 3" inch walking around Providence!

Anonymous said...

Cute dress!! - Kat

Anonymous said...

Kat and I on same page!

Mom

PS SHE wouldn't wear 3" heels walking around Providence even if she is also height challenged!!