“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” -Helen Keller

Monday, June 23, 2008

Training Walk #2

Saturday I led my 2nd walk and I think it was a great success! There were 8 of us in total and everyone walked about the same pace so we stayed together for all 15 miles. That is actually quite a miracle to have 8 strangers stay together that long! And to top that off, everyone seemed to get along well and throughout the day I think pretty much everyone spent some time talking to every other walker.

I actually knew half of the folks ahead of time which definitely helped me remember the name. There was Donna and Jeff my old next door neighbors from ages 5-8. Their daughter Missy and I are still friends, so we've seen each other periodically over the years, but probably haven't spent that much time together in over 2 decades! Then we had Cecelia, my walking buddy from last year. Caroline, my new Southie walking partner that was laid up with a sprained ankle for a while. Then 3 new 1st time walkers, Eileen, Cheryl and Melissa (Caroline's friend). What a great group!!!

We started in Southie, walked to the North End (you can't get there once the shops open or during lunch time or you'll loose all your walkers to the lure of the N. End!). We walked through the Haymarket Farmer's market and stopped to buy fresh peaches and apples. Yum! What a treat to have some fresh fruit while we walk! Then through the Public Garden and Boston Common. We all stopped at the South Station food court for lunch and a little break. And then treated our fellow diners to quite a show as 8 people changed their socks right in the middle of the food court! Heck, this time of year it's all about taking care of my feet above all else! Then we walked back to Southie and around Castle Island. Even managed to stop at Mr. Frosty for an ice cream cone to enjoy during the last mile of our walk. Overall, a really scenic route I love and I think everyone enjoyed!

2 Shockers - Caroline just finished rehabbing her ankle and had previously only walked 5 miles at one time. Yet she managed to walk 15 miles Sat! The other shocker is that Donna showed up looking perfect - full makeup, hair, everything. That's not surprising, but the fact she looked just as immaculate AFTER walking 15 miles was shocking! If I even start THINKING about walking 15 miles I'll start perspiring, but not her. Wish I was that lucky!
Thanks everyone for a really enjoyable walk!!!!

No comments: