“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” -Helen Keller

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Friendly Wave

Yesterday was my 1st 10 mile walk of the year. And did I need to rest afterwards!!! :0) When I walk my usual route, any walk over 10 miles brings me by Neponset Circle and the Shell Gas Station. Last year on my first long walk I stopped by that gas station to fill up on water and gatorade but I had forgotted to bring money in my fanny pack. Needless to say, the gas station attendant was more than a little skeptical when I promised to come back later that day to pay for the drinks. NOT getting drink refills really isn't a safe option when you're walking 10+ miles! True to my word, I paid later that day. From then on, whenever I would get to the rotary and the same guy was working, he'd wave to me from the window as I went by. Fast-forward a year, and the guy must have been shocked to look out the window and see my familiar figure (ie. Fanny Pack girl!) walking again! I stopped on my way back for drinks, a bathroom break and a quick hello. Although I'm sure we wouldn't recognize each other in civilian clothes, it sure is great to get a friendly wave after 5 miles of walking!!!

No comments: