“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” -Helen Keller

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Inspiration

Let me tell you a story about a truly incredible long distance walker......
Last year when I was trying to decide if I should sign up for the 3-Day walk I did a lot of research to find out exactly what it entailed. Like most people, I was terrified about both the fundraising and the physical challenge of the training. Not to mention the actual 60 mile walk!

One of the people I came across in my research was Barbara Jo Kirshbaum. She's a legend in the long-distance walking world. And here's why......she participates in about 15 walks EVERY YEAR! And she raises an astounding amount of money. She started about 10 years ago, when she turned 60, so she must be about 70-71 now and she's still walking 15 of these events every year.

2008 is a huge year for Barbara Jo. In November, at the end of the walk season she'll have completed ONE HUNDRED WALKS and raised ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!! That's right. An ordinary woman made this committment and personal challenge, and has spent the last decade single handedly raising $1M! She's only $48,000 away from reaching her milestone so there's no doubt she'll reach her personal goal.

I've never met Barbara Jo (she walks in the Avon Boston walk in May, but not the 3Day event in August). But I love to read her blog and follow her progress for inspiration. Not to mention reading her story last year gave me a lot of confidence - if she can walk 15 events and raise about $150,000 every year, than surely I could raise a little bit of money!

btw - she's NOT a Breast Cancer survivor, nor is anyone in her immediate family. She started these walks for a variety of reasons, but mainly to make a difference. And has she ever!

No comments: