“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” -Helen Keller

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Rain, rain, go away

Not exactly great walking weather this weekend. It rained off and on both Sat & Sun morning, so I walked a little later each day to avoid the heavy rain. Yesterday my timing worked out pretty good. I wasn't as lucky today. I spent most of the walk trying to avoid puddles, or stopping to wait for cars to pass by so they wouldn't splash me when driving through the flooded street. It drizzled during most of my 8 mile walk and I eventually dug out my rain poncho for the first time. On a good day, I look weird walking down busy Morrisey Blvd with a huge fanny pack (my gas station friend even asked me about it yesterday), but with the rain poncho on I'm sure most passersby think I'm some deranged homeless person. The poncho is like a giant black trash bag, but it's open on the sides so I can reach back and get my water bottles. Although a great feature, it's HUGE, and fits over my fanny pack with plenty of room-to-spare. I caught a glimpse of myself and had to laugh - the fanny pack may look odd on a regular day, but when it's covered by the poncho you have no idea what's under the poncho and I look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame! Attractive, huh?

No comments: