“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” -Helen Keller

Sunday, May 18, 2008

All sorts of Company!

I was down in Plymouth Friday night, so Saturday morning meant I was walking through the beautiful trails of The Pinehills (my parent's neighborhood). It was raining pretty hard in the morning, so I left around 10 am once the rain stopped.

I was thinking of the women participating in the Avon 2Day walk which was happening this weekend in Boston. Last year it rained all weekend during their event, so I guess it was better this year if they only had rain for a few hours. I'm not sure what's worse - the rain they had, or the 100 degree temps I had last year for the 3-Day. I guess the weather gods like to test how dedicated the Breast Cancer walkers are!

Anyway, back to Pinehills. The trails there are really serene. And they have a few hills which is good for my training because most of my routes in the city are flat, but the 3-Day route has a bunch of hills. Of course, as I'm struggling up a hill I'm not exactly thinking it's a great thing, but it's so easy to have perspective when I'm home sitting at my computer!

Toward the end of my 1st 5-mile loop there was a women walking behing me and when I turned around I noticed she was wearing a pink ribbon hat. Naturally I struck up a conversation! Turns out we had a lot in common - she was visiting her daughter, me my parents, she was wearing the hat because her 85 year old mother is a BC Survivor (30+ years!), my 92 year old grandmother is a Survivor, and randomly both her daughter and I work at Talbot's! Small world isn't it?! We only walked about 1/2 a mile together, but it surely helped pass the time and Maryann was a really nice lady!

Then I got even more company on my second 5-mile loop. My Mom met me for the last 2.5 miles home. The end of the walk is always more difficult than the beginning so it was great to have her to chat with and pass the time. And what a tropper she is to join in my training!

No comments: