“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” -Helen Keller

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Last Weekend!

I can't believe that 6 months of prep is winding down and the event is only 5 days away!!! Busy weekend for me. Sat I walked 10 miles with my college friend Marisa who was visiting from CA. We walked down Boylston, Beacon, Harvard Ave, Comm Ave - pretty much a "remember when" tour of our college days! Today I walked 8 miles w/ Lena, a fellow 3Day walker who I've chatted with online, but our schedules just finally synced up this weekend. It's great to know another familiar face before the 3Day. And also thanks to Kim C. who came across my blog while searching the internet, and sent me an email to let me know she's also a 1st time walker. Guess the old blog is really reaching out to folks!!!

Today I officially packed my gear bag! Somehow having everything in the bag makes it all real! I feel the same way I did when I was 4 yrs old going to Disney for the 1st time. Even back then I was a planner and had my suitcase packed and ready well in advance. I was afraid I would forget my blankie, so I packed that too. Only problem was I couldn't sleep w/out my blankie, so every night I'd have to go into my suitcase and take it out. Then I'd put it back in the suitcase each morning so I wouldn't forget to bring it with me to FL. Well, this time I didn't pack blankie, and I'm pretty sure I won't need any of my camping gear this week, so I think the bag will stay closed until Friday.....when I set up my tent & air matress!

How does one pack for the 3 day? In ziploc bags, then pack it all inside a giant trash bag - just to protect everything from the dreaded rain! Like my luggage tag? As you may remember, I'm walking in honor of my Grandmother who's a breast cancer survivor, so I made a copy of her High School graduation photo (class of 1932!) and laminated it with my name, etc on the other side. Should make it easy to spot my back among the 3000 other bags.....I hope!

No comments: