“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” -Helen Keller

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Bionic Woman
Tonight was my 1st night of actual physical therapy. I started with strengthening & balancing exercises -try playing catch while standing on a trampoline with one foot in the air. Not so easy!

Then they whipped out the electronics. I had seen other people lying around w/ heating packs thinking how easy their PT was while I'm working my butt off. Oh was I ever wrong. Said heating pack is HOT HOT HOT and what I didn't notice was that in addition to the heat pack they were hooked up to a machine. It had small disks attached to the machine which were then put on my back (sort of like an EKG or something). Through some form of electro-shock therapy (at least as far as I'm concerned that's what it is!) this thing constricts your muscles while you're lying there. It's an odd sensation and a little, not quite painful exactly, but definitely uncomfortable. Guess all those folks sitting around with their heat packs didn't have it so easy after all!

But I did learn some trivia....
1. There's a big tendon in the hip that's made up of 3 muscles. But 1/3 of the total population is missing 1 of the muscles and it's no big deal. Who knew?!
2. Animal Planet was on TV at PT. After watching enough about snakes to ensure I will have nightmares reminiscent of the Snake Pit scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, they did a story on Lions. Direct quote from the expert "while they're bachelors the men lions hunt for themselves, but once they're attached to a lioness it's her job to hunt for all the food. And then let the man eat first after she makes the kill" Ladies, make any similarities to other species as you feel necessary. ;-)

No comments: