“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” -Helen Keller

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Courage
Sorry for the delay w/ the post....the 14 miles on Saturday wiped me out! Sunday I woke up knowing I was supposed to walk 10 miles. I didn't think it was possible. Not on my aching legs. Then I decided to put on the "Sun AM" pink rubber bracelet I just received and it put everything into perspective. When I bought a 6 pack of socks from Thorlo, a 3Day sponsor, each pair was wrapped in a bracelet labeled either Fri AM, Fri PM, Sat AM, Sat PM, Sun AM or Sun PM. It's important to change your socks at the midpoint of each day of long distance walking, so the bracelets go along w/ the sock changing schedule. And they each contain a different quote. I decided not to read the messages all at once and just wait until I wore them. So, Sunday morning I woke up and every muscle, joint, bone, etc was hurting. I doubted it was possible for me to walk 10 miles with such pain. I put on the "Sunday AM" bracelet and read the inspiration:

"Courage stands in the face of doubt and stares it down."

That was all I needed to get my butt in gear! I started stretching, eating breakfast, etc, and next thing you know I was hitting the pavement....and the 10 miles flew by (or at least as fast as 3+ hours can fly by!). Can't wait to see what the rest of the messages have to say!

No comments: